Grace Episcopal Church was established in 1889 to minister to the textile, foundry, and blast furnace workers that moved with their families to Woodlawn during Birmingham’s first industrial boom. In 1890, a wood-framed church was built on the current 1st Ave North plot. The present church structure was built in 1927, and the Henckell Hall addition was finished in 1974.
By the 1970s, Woodlawn had transformed from a Caucasian middle class neighborhood to a predominately African American and Hispanic community, many of which were low income or homeless. Grace quickly responded to Woodlawn’s needs by opening the Community Kitchen, the Food Pantry, and the Clothes Closet.
Now in its 116th Year, Grace continues to embrace and serve the Woodlawn community by bringing Christ’s love to each and every person in numerous outreach ministries.