“All who present themselves are to be welcomed as Christ.”
–The Rule of Saint Benedict
The following ministries are always looking for helpers
- Acolyte: assist during the service with the lighting, extinguishing, and transport of liturgical candles.
- Crucifer: carrying the crucifix during the procession and assisting the priest during Eucharist.
- Thurifer: burning the incense and swinging the thurible.
- Lector: reading either the first or second lesson during the Liturgy of the Word.
- Choir: singing the anthems, chanting the psalms.
- Usher: greeting, handing out bulletins, and assisting with seating.
- Hospitality: providing the refreshments for the post Sunday Mass coffee hour.
- Altar Guild: setting up and cleaning up the communion elements and linens.
- Flower Guild: arranging the flowers around the altar.
- Catechumenate: preparing new members for baptism and confirmation.
- Christian Formation [Adults and Children]: the leading of bible studies and education classes.
- Nursery: helping with childcare during the Sunday service.
- Lay Eucharistic Ministers: licensed by the diocese to take consecrated elements to the home-bound and sick.
- House Eucharist Host: during the summers, Grace members take turns hosting a midweek Eucharist at their home.
- Buildings and Grounds: helping with keeping the Grace campus lush and clean.
- Gardening: during the farming seasons, Grace Church operates a modest garden of vegetables and herbs.
- Episcopal Church Women [ECW]: Episcopalian women of all ages doing Christ’s ministry in the world.
- Cursillo: a movement focused on the spiritual training of lay church leaders.
- Prayer Ministry: participating in a cycle of prayer for members of the Grace community.
- Stewardship Committee: coordinating members’ time, talents, and financial resources for the good of the parish.
- Vestry: the church board operating the parish day-to-day.
- Birthday Ministry: sending out cards to remind our members that they are loved.
- Grace Notes Newsletter: a monthly collection of happenings with the parish.
The following outreach programs always welcome assistance
- Community Kitchens: serves lunch every day from 1pm to 2pm in the Parish Hall.
- Food Pantry: distributes bags of groceries 3-4 times a month to Woodlawn families in need.
- Clothes Closet: gives reclaimed clothes to those in need free of charge.
- Emergency Shelter: offers shelter during times of inclement weather and/or emergency situations.
- Grace By Day: offers hospitality in the Parish Hall during the week from 11:00am to 12:45pm.
- Grace Works: provides a summer day camp for adolescents age 10-14.
The following programs are hosted by or affiliated with Grace Church
- ESL Classes: teaching English as a Second Language to the greater Hispanic community in Birmingham.
- Nar-Anon Meetings: a support group dedicated to family members and friends of substance addicts.
- 55th Place Community Thrift Shop: a nonprofit organization that gives its proceeds directly back to Birmingham.