“All who present themselves are to be welcomed as Christ.”
–The Rule of Saint Benedict
The following ministries are always looking for helpers
- Acolyte: assist during the service with the lighting, extinguishing, and transport of liturgical candles.
- Crucifer: carrying the crucifix during the procession and assisting the priest during Eucharist.
- Thurifer: burning the incense and swinging the thurible.
- Lector: reading either the first or second lesson during the Liturgy of the Word.
- Choir: singing the anthems, chanting the psalms.
- Usher: greeting, handing out bulletins, and assisting with seating.
- Hospitality: providing the refreshments for the post Sunday Mass coffee hour.
- Altar Guild: setting up and cleaning up the communion elements and linens.
- Flower Guild: arranging the flowers around the altar.
- Catechumenate: preparing new members for baptism and confirmation.
- Christian Formation [Adults and Children]: the leading of bible studies and education classes.
- Nursery: helping with childcare during the Sunday service.
- Lay Eucharistic Ministers: licensed by the diocese to take consecrated elements to the home-bound and sick.
- House Eucharist Host: during the summers, Grace members take turns hosting a midweek Eucharist at their home.
- Buildings and Grounds: helping with keeping the Grace campus lush and clean.
- Gardening: during the farming seasons, Grace Church operates a modest garden of vegetables and herbs.
- Episcopal Church Women [ECW]: Episcopalian women of all ages doing Christ’s ministry in the world.
- Cursillo: a movement focused on the spiritual training of lay church leaders.
- Prayer Ministry: participating in a cycle of prayer for members of the Grace community.
- Stewardship Committee: coordinating members’ time, talents, and financial resources for the good of the parish.
- Vestry: the church board operating the parish day-to-day.
- Birthday Ministry: sending out cards to remind our members that they are loved.
- Grace Notes Newsletter: a monthly collection of happenings with the parish.
The following outreach programs always welcome assistance
- Community Kitchens: serves lunch every day from 1pm to 2pm in the Parish Hall.
- Food Pantry: distributes bags of groceries 3-4 times a month to Woodlawn families in need.
- Clothes Closet: gives reclaimed clothes to those in need free of charge.
- Emergency Shelter: offers shelter during times of inclement weather and/or emergency situations.
Note on Dec 1, 2020: The warming station has been open to guests during cold weather for the past seven years. We are working diligently to open this year as well. The safety issues this winter are more complex than other winters. Due to Covid, we will need plexiglass barriers between each cot and other safety features we are working to provide. We have written a grant requesting the money to obtain the barriers and other safety items however, we have not received confirmation of the grant money. We at Grace care deeply about our guests and volunteers and are working hard to provide for everyone’s safety during these unusual times. When we are able to open we will spread the word and look forward to serving with all who are able to assist us in this much-needed ministry.
- Grace By Day: offers hospitality in the Parish Hall during the week from 11:00am to 12:45pm.
- Grace Works: provides a summer day camp for adolescents age 10-14.
The following programs are hosted by or affiliated with Grace Church
- ESL Classes: teaching English as a Second Language to the greater Hispanic community in Birmingham.
- Nar-Anon Meetings: a support group dedicated to family members and friends of substance addicts.
- 55th Place Community Thrift Shop: a nonprofit organization that gives its proceeds directly back to Birmingham.